research-based redesign

We’ve recently been working with two of our clients, LAMDA and CLPE, on analysing their web traffic. This has included helping to establish Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), as well as improving what is measured, how it is reported internally, and to what ends.

Alongside that, we’ve been working with clients to get a clearer understanding of what they see as their current key customer user journeys on site, so we can continually measure and test against this. We are starting to do the same for content management staff as well, to make sure that they can look after their sites in the most efficient way possible.

Getting a good quantitative understanding of site performance got both clients to think about how they can get more qualitative insights into how their organisations are perceived online. In doing that, we’ve needed to stress the importance of ‘seeing the wood as well as the trees’ – meaning that the associated research, which is mainly based on focus groups, interviews and surveys, is best done by someone external to both them as a client and us as a supplier. So, for example, with LAMDA, we suggested they work with Dan Young at Shed Research.

One of the major objectives was to improve the mobile experience – the sites were already responsive but we took a more mobile-first approach. For both clients a number of actions resulted, including redesign projects.

LAMDA previous desktop LAMDA new desktop LAMDA new mobile

 

For CLPE, this happened alongside a rebranding exercise which we also led at miggle:

CLPE previous desktop CLPE new desktop CLPE new mobile

 

CLPE logos CLPE colours and fonts

With the redesigns launched we’ve been measuring their success against the KPIs in general and the overall project goals. This also gives us an opportunity to follow up with both clients and see how the general exercise of measuring traffic on a regular basis is going. We can see now that for mobile users on both clients since the redesign, sessions and new users are up about 20% compared to the previous period, bounce rates have dropped and pages per session and session duration have increased – all without harming the desktop experience. With both clients we’ve also started to look in more detail at search engine optimisation (SEO) and social media engagement, as part of more extensive work on the analytical side.

In these cases, as well as others such as AVERT and Air New Zealand, we’ve been able to refresh sites in a cost-effective manner without changing much in the back end. This is because the site was originally built with good content and flexible information architecture. Changing the theme (in Drupal, the code which amalgamates and displays content on the site) allows elements to be presented in a different manner – so to the user it looks like a new site, to the search engine it looks clearer, and to the client it looks like a cost-effective upgrade.

If you want to take back control of your web sites and applications then get in touch with miggle to see how we can deliver operational freedom for you in Drupal.