Each week at miggle we get the benefit of 10% time. 10% time is to allow developers expand their learning knowledge on something they think will help increase and benefit their work at miggle. For me, I use this time to expand my understanding of Drupal 8.
My passion is front-end development and I have done quite a bit of front-end work in Drupal 8 but once you understand the changes there isn’t too much of a difference between the versions.
what about Drupal 8 module development?
Apart from front-end I also have a passion for mapping, especially Google maps. Because of this I want to learn more about Drupal 8 module development. I have looked into module development in the past and know it has changed quite a lot so for my 10% time I wanted to build out a custom field formatter for the geofield module.
My diary will take you through the learns and struggles I come up against during the development cycle of the field formatter and hopefully at the end I will have a working module, my goals for the module are.
- Create a module which has a field formatter & views integration.
- Allow the module to be used by an admin (field formatter, show a single marker on the map)
- Allow developers to have access the map & marker information via JS so modules can interact with the map.
- Create a views format so you can show multiple marker on the map.
To find out more about my progression, it's available to read on my personal website:
- 10% time – Drupal developer diary: Creating our module (part 1).
- Drupal developer diary introduction.
- Module overview.
If you want to take back control of your web sites and applications then get in touch with miggle to see how we can deliver operational freedom for you in Drupal.